Vanilla Poached Pears with Chocolate Sauce
- 1½ cups dry white wine
- ¼ cup sugar
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 vanilla bean
- 4 pears, peeled, cored and quartered
- 5 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- In a saucepan, add wine, sugar and lemon zest. Slice vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape seeds from the pod. Mash seeds into syrup mixture; cook syrup over medium heat, 2 minutes.
- Add pears to syrup, basting pears several times as they cook, about 20 to 25 minutes or until tender.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler over barely simmering water. Place 4 pear pieces in a bowl, spoon 2 tablespoons of the syrup over the fruit, then lightly drizzle pears with chocolate. Repeat for remaining pears. Serve immediately.
391 calories (3g protein, 59g carbohydrate, 13g fat, 4mg sodium) per serving