Baked Apple Halves with Maple Cream
- 2 large red apples, halved lengthwise and cored with a melon baller
- 4 teaspoons trans-free margarine, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Chill small mixing bowl for evaporated milk.
- Place apples flesh side up in 8" X 8" baking dish and dot with margarine. Pour orange juice and vinegar over top, cover with foil, and bake 40 to 45 minutes until apples are soft but still hold their shape.
- Remove apples to large plate and pour juice from dish into small saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce 3 to 4 minutes until thick and syrupy. Reserve 4 tablespoons.
- Whip milk and maple syrup together in chilled bowl with electric mixer at high speed 3 to 5 minutes until mixture thickens.
- Top each baked apple half with 1½ tablespoons of the maple cream and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the reserved fruit syrup.
145 calories (1g protein, 27g carbohydrate, 4.5g fat, 51mg sodium) per serving