Spinach & Goat Cheese Italian Omelet (Frittata)
- 8 large spinach leaves with stems
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1½ cups thinly sliced red onion
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 8 eggs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- Wash the spinach. Cut off stems, mince, and set aside. Chop spinach leaves.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet with an ovenproof handle. Add onion, ¼ teaspoon of salt, and rosemary. Sauté 10 minutes over medium heat, until onions are very soft and just starting to brown. Stir in spinach leaves and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, and sauté 1 to 2 minutes, or until the greens are just wilted. Remove from heat, stir in garlic and spinach stems, and set aside.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl. Add spinach mixture and goat cheese, and stir to combine.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Wash and dry skillet, then heat remaining oil in skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is very hot, pour in the vegetable-egg mixture and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the eggs are set on the bottom.
- Transfer skillet to preheated broiler and broil for about 3 minutes, or until frittata is firm in the center and golden on top. Use a rubber spatula to loosen the frittata from skillet and invert onto a large round plate. Cut into wedges and serve.
253 calories (16g protein, 8g carbohydrate, 18g fat, 491mg sodium) per serving