French Onion Soup with Parmesan Croutons
Category: Soups & Stews
Prep + Cooking Time: 3 Hrs 50 Minutes
- 1 bunch leeks
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 large shallots, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 3 cans chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 ounces French bread, sliced into ¾-inch thick pieces
- ¼ cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut off roots and leaf ends from leeks. Discard any tough outer leaves. Cut each leek lengthwise in half, then crosswise into ¼-inch slices. Place leeks in large bowl of cold water. With hand, swish leeks around to remove any sand. Transfer leeks to colander. Repeat process, changing water several times, until all sand is removed. Drain well.
- In saucepot, melt butter and olive oil over medium-high heat. Add leeks, onions, shallots and thyme, and cook, covered, until tender and deep golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover and increase heat to high. Add brandy and cook 1 minute, stirring and scraping bottom of saucepot. Add chicken broth, salt, pepper and 4 cups water. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450°F. Place bread slices on large cookie sheet; bake 3 minutes. Turn slices over; sprinkle tops with Parmesan cheese and bake 5 minutes longer or until toasted. Top each serving of soup with a Parmesan crouton.
135 calories (6g protein, 16g carbohydrate, 5g fat, 770mg sodium) per serving