- 1 cup unsifted cake flour
- 2 tablesppons cocoa powder
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1¼ cups egg whites
- 1¼ teaspoons cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1½ tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened, flaked coconut
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift flour twice with cocoa powder and ½ cup of sugar.
- With an electric mixer on high, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form.
- Add half of the remaining sugar and beat for 1 minute. Add remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Fold flour and sugar mixture into egg whites, ¼ cup at a time.
- Put batter in an ungreased 10-inch tube pan and bake until cake is springy to the touch, about 1 hour. Invert pan and let cake cool completely before removing from pan.
For the icing:
- Whisk sugar, milk and vanilla together in a mixing bowl. Stir in the coconut.
- Drizzle icing over the cake.
191 calories (3g protein, 40g carbohydrate, 2g fat, 97mg sodium) per serving