Red Wine-Poached Pears
- 3 cups dry red wine, such as Shiraz
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 whole star anise
- 8 medium, ripe Bosc pears with stems
- In a 6-quart Dutch oven, add wine, water, sugar, and star anise, and heat over high heat. Bring just to boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Meanwhile, peel pears, leaving stems on. With melon baller, core pears through bottom end.
- Add pears to wine mixture, and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low, turning occasionally, until just tender when pierced with a skewer, about 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer pears to platter. Discard star anise.
- Increase heat to high, and bring poaching liquid to a boil. Cook 20 minutes, uncovered, until liquid thickens.
- Refrigerate pears and syrup separately for 6 hours. To serve, spoon syrup over pears.
197 calories (1g protein, 46g carbohydrate, 1g fat, 10mg sodium) per serving