Apple-Walnut Honey Cake
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup honey
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 2½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups diced, peeled and cored crisp apples
- 2 cups broken walnuts
- ½ cup coarsely chopped almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 13" X 9" cake pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer until light, about 5 minutes. Slowly beat in honey and oil until well-blended.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add flour mixture, apples, and walnuts to egg mixture, and fold together until blended. Pour into prepared pan, and bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until top is set. Let cool in pan. Sprinkle with chopped almonds.
613 calories (10g protein, 60g carbohydrate, 37g fat) per serving