Strawberry Jelly Roll Cake
- 4 cups strawberries, quartered lengthwise
- ¾ cup sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 egg whites
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 (10-ounce) jar strawberry jam
- In a medium bowl, combine the strawberries and ¼ cup sugar, cover and chill 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Meanwhile, coat a 15" X 10" jelly-roll pan with cooking spray, line with wax paper, and coat wax paper with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Place remaining ½ cup sugar, egg whites, and egg yolks in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at high speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Sift half of flour mixture into egg mixture and fold in. Repeat with remaining flour mixture.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pan, and bake in preheated oven until cake springs back when touched lightly in center, about 10 minutes. Loosen sides of cake with a knife, and turn out onto a dishtowel dusted with powdered sugar. Peel off wax paper, and let cool 2 minutes.
- Starting at narrow end, roll up cake and towel together. Place on a wire rack, seam side down, and let cool 1 hour. Unroll carefully, remove towel and spread jam over cake. Reroll cake, and cut into 8 slices.
- Top each slice with strawberries and serve.
293 calories (5g protein, 57g carbohydrate, 5g fat, 171mg sodium) per serving