Smoked Salmon Crepes with Cream Cheese
Prep + Cooking Time: 18 Minutes
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1¼ cups 1% milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ounces low fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ pound thinly sliced smoked salmon
For the crepes:
- Whisk together flour, sugar and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
- Make a well in the center of mixture and pour in the milk. Whisk milk into the flour mixture until the batter is smooth and well blended.
- Whisk in eggs until blended.
- Strain batter through a sieve into another bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Heat an 8-inch nonstick skillet or crepe pan over medium heat. Lightly brush pan with olive oil.
- Add ¼ cup of the batter into skillet and tilt pan in all directions to evenly coat the bottom.
- Cook the crepes for about 30 seconds or until the bottom is lightly brown. Lift edges with a spatula and flip crepe over.
- Cook the underside for 10 to 15 seconds or until it is set and dry.
- Slide crepe onto a flat plate and cover with a piece of wax paper.
- Repeat with remaining batter, brushing pan with more butter as needed, and stacking the crepes between wax paper.
For the filling:
- Put cream cheese in a small bowl with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
- Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter, stamp out 4 rounds of the smoked salmon and 5 rounds of crepes.
- Place 1 crepe on a work surface and top with a salmon round. Spread about 1 tablespoon of cream cheese over the salmon.
- Continue the layering, ending with a plain crepe on top.
- Cut stack of salmon crepes into 6 wedges and serve.
105 calories (8g protein, 9g carbohydrate, 4g fat, 246mg sodium) per serving