Cheddar Baked Pasta with Chicken and Chili
Category: Pastas & Rice
Prep + Cooking Time: 35 Minutes
- 1 pound farfalle (bow-tie) pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- ½ cup diced bacon
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups reduced-fat milk
- 2 cups shredded low-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1½ cups diced cooked chicken breast
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Spray a large baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until it is al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large soup pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add the bell peppers and bacon and cook until the peppers soften, about 4 minutes. Add the scallions and cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in adobo sauce, flour, chili powder and cumin and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in 1½ cups of cheese. Stir in the cooked pasta and chicken.
- Spoon pasta mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. Bake until the cheese is melted, about 10 to 15 minutes.
549 calories (37g protein, 66g carbohydrate, 16g fat, 524mg sodium) per serving