Braised Lamb Shanks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 lamb shanks, trimmed and each cut into 2 pieces
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 leeks, white part only, halved lengthwise, sliced thinly crosswise
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a heavy ovenproof Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add lamb, season with pepper, and cook until brown on all sides, about 15 minutes. Transfer lamb to platter.
- To Dutch oven, add leek, carrot, and garlic; saute until vegetables begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes (with juice), bay leaf, and thyme. Add lamb and broth and bring to a simmer.
- Cover Dutch oven and place on middle rack of preheated oven. Cook 2½ to 3 hours, or until meat is tender. Remove bay leaf before serving.
363 calories (42g protein, 24g carbohydrate, 11g fat, 357mg sodium) per serving