Parmesan Spinach with Cream
- 2 pounds fresh spinach, stems removed
- 1½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ red onion, minced
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Briefly soak spinach in water, then place in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring once, until wilted.
- Drain spinach in a colander and rinse under cold water. Squeeze out all excess water from spinach, in batches. Transfer to a cutting board and chop coarsely. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and cook until translucent and soft, about 8 minutes. Add cream and nutmeg, cook until cream thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and continue to simmer until most of the cream has been absorbed into spinach. Stir in Parmesan, salt, and pepper.
275 calories (8g protein, 27g carbohydrate, 15g fat) per serving