Classic Fish and Chips
Prep + Cooking Time: 40 Minutes
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (12 ounce) can soda water
- ½ cup rice flour
- 2 (8 ounce) cod fish fillets or haddock fillets, sliced half on an angle
- tartar sauce, for serving
- Heat oil in a deep fryer.
- Peel potatoes and cut into chips. Fry potatoes in the oil, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove chips with a strainer and drain on paper towels. Return chips to the fryer, frying another 4 to 5 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Remove chips and drain.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and egg. Pour in soda water and whisk until batter is smooth.
- Spread rice flour on a plate. Dredge fish pieces in rice flour then dip into the batter.
- Put fish into the fryer, frying for 4 to 5 minutes until brown and crispy. Remove fish and drain.
- Season fish and chips with salt and pepper to taste. Place on a plate together with tartar sauce and serve.
922 calories (37g protein, 144g carbohydrate, 22g fat, 1455mg sodium) per serving