Crispy Fried Cauliflower
- 1 medium cauliflower, cored, cut into florets
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1½ cups seasoned breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup capers, rinsed and drained
- 1¼ cups olive oil
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil; cook cauliflower until almost tender, about 5 minutes. Drain; cool under cold water.
- Whisk eggs, cheese and cayenne in a bowl. Spread breadcrumbs on a plate. Dip cauliflower in egg mixture then dredge in breadcrumbs to coat; transfer to a wire rack. Lay capers on a paper towel; let cauliflower and capers stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat ¼ cup of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, add capers; fry 1 to 2 minutes, until crisp. Remove from skillet.
- Add remaining oil to skillet and heat over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Fry cauliflowers, a few pieces at a time, 4 minutes, until golden brown and crisp.
- Transfer to a plate, scatter with fried capers and serve with lemon wedges.
265 calories (9g protein, 23g carbohydrate, 16g fat) per serving